Monday, January 2, 2012

Surgery Countdown


But he thought, he was going to die
But he didn't
And she thought, she just couldn't cope
But she did.
And we thought it would be so hard
But it wasn’t
It wasn’t easy though.
written by Kate Bush in her lyrics Walk Straight Down the Middle

My surgical countdown! Just 10 more days! I think that Kate's lyrics pretty well sum up everything I've felt about this diagnosis and the surgery. Certainly the hallows of these halls can seem very dark. But for now here's my Dear Cancer letter!

Dear Cancer, 

     Maybe you've been wondering where I've been! I'm on vacation from you. In, October, you scared me beyond any Halloween decoration or Spooky Story! You caused me physical pain and emotional pain. You took me away from spending time with my precious sons! Now, you are forcing me to have surgery. But take a second look Cancer. Look at the smile on my face, the determination in my eyes. My mind has taken me to fields of wild flowers, to daffodils (the flower of hope). Places where horses run, fast as the wind! To mountains who's peaks seem are high as the sun! And where snow glistens in moonlight. To ocean waves that gently peel into foamy white lines. Where John Denver sings, "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy". Where Michael Bolton reminds me, "Gonna break these chains around me, Gonna learn to fly again, may be hard, but I'll do it."  

Here, there are no doctors or needles. No injections or IV's. Only the smiles of my friends, the arms of my family. Here I eat whatever I want .... chocolate, crawfish, big juicy hamburgers, bar-b-que- nachos, and guacamole ... and of course I go wherever I want .... Down to the waters edge, through the trees on a crooked rocky path, up the highest mountain seeing miles of earth below. 

This proves that your powers of control are waning. In fact, I'm having such a good time that I've decided to extend my vacation --- from you --- permanently. I hope to never see you again. 



2 comments:

  1. I really liked the dreamscape you tell of... I'll try to go there Monday the 27th when I have my surgery for carcinoid. I'm going to Stanford. I take care of my Mom at home and she will hire someone to take care of her while I have surgery. I don't have anyone to see me after my surgery until I come home and see my Mom again. I'm so glad I found your story and your website! I'll take the memories of it and your story with me to pull through monday : )
    Thanks! bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan,
    Thank You! I am also moved by your story. I admire the relationship you have with your Mom. My Mama is an invaluable source of strength, love, comfort, and peace. "I'm gonna be there" (in her, don't argue with me voice!) were some of her first words upon hearing the dates for my surgery. My prayer, that the right person WILL be there...for both of you... meeting your needs and your Mom's. I believe God's promise to never leave us, nor forsake us. I believe that His way is Perfect. I believe that the trials we face are just an opportunity to be a living example of how He ALWAYS takes care of tomorrow. So Never Give Up, Never Give In, Never Lose Hope, Never Lose Faith. You're A Survivor, and You're Going to Win. Juliet

    ReplyDelete