Monday, January 2, 2012

Land of Cancer

Just a few of the crew of the RNICU-UAB

The diagnosis of a potentially fatal disease makes us acutely aware of the impermanence of our existence. It forces us to reevaluate our contribution to the human story. Put plainly – we wonder how we will be remembered if we die. Ready to illuminate the landscape of my own life, my truths and journey in to the “land of cancer”, a foreign place filled with epic battles that no one is particularly prepared to fight. I will fight like a girl, and win! For now, I am reminded of a bumper sticker that read,

“What doesn’t kill you, still requires a co-pay!” 

 
After my diagnosis and with the support of my Mother, my sister, my sons, my friends, and the girls and guys of the RNICU-UAB, I dusted off my pocket survival manual for times of doubt.... I know that percentages are just calculated odds, and that some people beat them.

 For me, I want to tell everyone, it’s ok, I’ll be fine 100%, but then there’s that part that says, it’s too early to tell, so please don’t leave my side for long. Regardless of what cancer may or may not do in the future, right now – I am so very grateful for the time I have. It’s a nice feeling knowing that you don’t have to brave this land by yourself.
 

2 comments:

  1. 2012 is your year my friend. As I have said before carcinoid has no idea who it is up against. I admire all the kindness and compassion you show our families and the battles you have already won. Carcinoid will be just another notch on your lipstick case!!!
    Love Always<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we haven't know each other for long, but I feel as though I've known you for years. You have a wonderful spirit about you and I enjoy spending time with you. You are in my thoughts and prayers, as well as your boys. The power of prayer is amazing. See you soon and perhaps we will make a visit to Louisana

    ReplyDelete