Monday, January 2, 2012

Everyone Needs A Hero

A ZEBRA?
My first visit to Ochsner-LSU NET Program
The day we changed 18% in 1 year, into 40% chance in 5 years

Related to the horse, but distinctively and conspicuously patterned in stripes of black and white. The term "zebra" in medicine does not refer to the striped African animal but to an unlikely diagnostic possibility. It comes from an old saying in teaching medical students about how to think logically in regard to the differential diagnosis:

 "When you hear hoof beats, think of horses, not zebras."


I knew the familiar phrase. I had already heard that once before by my own doctors when I had difficulty conceiving my second son. Fortunately, until now, I had never been diagnosed with a zebra! No black and white issue here… I knew I wanted the experts. I also knew that like the zebra I needed the herd. A zebra is protected by it’s family group forming a circle around the injured keeping it from being hurt anymore by the enemy. In my case, the herd had already circled. My doctors would turn out to be Dr. Woltering and Dr. Boudreaux at the hospital I was born in, Oschner in New Orleans, La. Also included, my Mama, my sister, my sons, my friends and the girls and guys of the RNICU-UAB. I’ll not forget the words, “I’ll be at your side every step of the way.” My friend, Page Paradise when I was overwhelmed and tears streaming down my face asking, what am I gonna do and she was quick to say, “We’re gonna fight.” I knew I wasn’t alone. Page and another dear friend, Amanda Estes immediately ordered buttons and distributed them to nurses I worked with. Each reminded me to “Fight like a Girl” and that “No one fights Alone”. I would fight and I wasn’t alone. Though carcinoid cancer was rare, I had something even more rare.  Everyone indeed needs a hero, for me, it’s all of them. My promise, I will fight, and I won’t let you down. 

1 comment: